About .eu domains
The .eu extension is the official ccTLD of the European Union and can only be registered by companies or citizens based in the EU and a few other countries: Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein.
It was launched in 2007 and more than 3.5 million .eu names have already been registered. In addition, there are still 4,000 names whose extension consists of Cyrillic letters ( .ею- offered since 2016 ) or Greek ( .ευ- introduced in 2019 ). Most .eu domains are registered in Germany, almost 1 million names.
.eu extension fits any activity, from trade and production to tourism and education. The extension was created in order to form stronger links between the citizens of this organization.
Another purpose of the extension is to represent the websites of the institutions of the European Union. europa.eu is the official website and all sites of the EU institutions are subdomains of it. Examples: consilium.europa.eu - Council of Europe, ec.europa.eu - European Commission, europarl.europa.eu - European Parliament. This is also a good way to check whether or not the sites accessed are the official ones.
Other .eu sites: politico.eu, neurope.eu, ccc.eu, study.eu, interrail.eu.
Domain registration restrictions:
.eu can be registered by citizens/companies with offices registered in the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. Additional documents may be requested upon registration, as well as after registration to verify the holder's data.
Other details about .eu domains:
Characteristics of .eu domains:
.eu registration rules:
The registration rules for Internet domains are established by the authority that manages each type of domain. The registration and use of an Internet domain name must comply with these rules.
IDN (Internationalized domain name):
1 to 10 years
Grace period upon renewal:
before the expiration date
yes, renews the domain name for one year
Grace period upon deletion:
40 days of quarantine
Number of characters:
3 to 63 alphanumeric characters
WHOIS privacy protection:
Number of nameservers:
1 or more NS
.eu domain prices
|.eu domain registration
|8 € / year
|.eu domain transfer
|8 € / year
|.eu domain renewal
|8 € / year
For other domain names prices check: Complete list of domain name prices.
Customers in Romania pay in RON at the BNR exchange rate + 2%.
VAT is added to the displayed prices from site according to tax regulations.
Register .eu domain
Check .eu domain availability and register by completing the form below:
If you want to register a domain type other than .eu, go to the form regarding domain registration.
What you have to know about .eu domain registration
- .eu domain registration is made on your name as any domain offered by Hosterion.
- You have full rights to domains registered through Hosterion: you can use the domain as you choose and you can always transfer it to another provider if you wish. We don't hinder you and we don't force you to stay with us.
- Any domain includes, without additional costs, a premium service of DNS hosting.
- If you have registered an .eu domain with us, you will receive an email notification 60 days before your domain expires.
- The proforma invoice for domain renewals is automatically issued and emailed 14 days before the domain expires. To ensure that your domain is up and running we recommend that you pay your invoice early, as it can take 1-2 working days for us to transfer the money and process the payment. The payment of the invoice is optional: if you no longer need the domain, you are under no obligation to pay it.
- We also recommend choosing a web hosting package from us, but it is totally optional.